Saturday, December 5, 2015

Visit from the Reese and Zoe!!

Not much new to report today.

Tried a new breakfast oatmeal today.  Ended up taking almost 40 minutes to prepare.  It called for 3 apples peeled and cored.  I could not find the apple peeler, so had to just cut of the skin after I had cored the apple.  This was a pain.  Also the apple had been in the refrigerator, so I think they took longer to soften up when cooking.  It turned out really good.  Deb enjoyed hers as well.  Now I know to allow extra time  (more on this later)

Deb was tired of being cooped up in the house, so I took her to get her nails done.  They needed it, since she had taken off her last polish before surgery in case the needed to to remove them for the oxygen monitor.  While she was doing that, I got a pedicure, don't judge!!  When we were at an all inclusive a couple months ago, we had a free pedicure as part of some massage package we booked, and I really enjoyed it.  So I did it again.  Deb was done first and wondered what was taking me so long.  I told her I was waiting for my nail polish to dry  (Okay, maybe now you can judge)

When we got home Deb was asking about how I made the oatmeal and why it took so long!  I told her about the apples, she walked over to our utensil drawer and, after some digging, found a peeler.  So maybe I will not have to allow as much time!!!

As I have been using the kitchen (basically for the first time in the almost 10 years)  I noticed that we had a lot of the same types of kitchen things in 2 or 3 cabinets.  I decided that I wanted to organize and put like items together and get the things I will be using all close together.  This was kind of fun to find pyrex dishes, cake pans, serving bowls and all sorts of other things that I did not know we had.

I was working on this for about an hour and a half and realized I was HUNGRY.  Not wanting to stop and prepare something (and honestly not being ABLE to prepare anything, with the cabinet contents on every flat surface in the kitchen) I just ate 2 oranges.  (so no new recipes tried)

This evening my little sister Traycie brought over our nieces to see Aunta Debbie and to wish my 20 year old cat Happy Birthday  (Yes, Allie is 20 years old!!!!!)

I knew they were going to be ordering food, so I wanted to just make something simple.  So hours before they came over I chopped up a carrot, a small onion, a large orange pepper, and some mushrooms.  I put them all in a bowl so that I could just sauté them up when I was hungry.  Part of the diet calls for eating beans with the salad.  What I decided to do was chop up some walnuts and flax seed and combine it with a cup of garbanzo beans.  I blended them all together into a paste.

When it came time for dinner I grabbed some Romaine lettuce and did lettuce wraps again.  This time I spread the bean and nut paste on each leaf before I added the veggies.   This helped keep everything together.  I like the idea of the bean paste.  Will probably try that again.

I had some strawberries that were starting to get soft and a browning banana.  So I made a smoothie.  1 banana, 6 strawberries, tablespoon of Cocoa powder, 6 chopped walnut halves, 1/4 cup almond milk and 6 ice cubes to chill it.   Blended that all up and it was a very nice dessert.

Tomorrow I am going to make the chili after I get home from bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment