Thursday, December 3, 2015

SALAD!!!!

So I did make the salad I talked about.  Using some of the things from the edible arrangements sent to Deb for her recovery.  (She did eat the salad with me, so I did not steal them from her)

I made it with the Strawberries and grapes that Deb had received.  I cut them up into quarters.  In addition I used my new Veggie cutter to turn a carrot into little spaghetti like strands.  I chopped up some walnuts, but A) I chopped them too fine and B) I did not use enough.  I used 3 kinds of lettuce, Romaine, Red leaf and Green leaf.  I added some Balsamic Vinegar to the whole thing (again, I did not use enough).   I topped it all off with some garbanzo beans.


For desert, or maybe for some time tomorrow I also made some Berry-Melon smoothies, using the Cantaloupe from Debs gifts along with some blueberries and some blackberries and some of the green leaf lettuce.   I tasted it and it was very fruity.  I put it in the freezer to maybe try it chilled.

Deb ate some of the salad and she actually liked it.   I will probably be doing something similar tomorrow.  Or I have some onions, peppers and mushrooms that I may sauté, and make a little stir fry for myself.

I talked to my friend Karen for awhile about this and the more I talked the more I was reassured again that I am doing this for the right reason.  Do I think it will be easy? NO I do not, but I really have enjoyed making my own food and eating simple, but good tasting foods.

Some of the reasons I have decided to do this blog are
a) Document how the transition is going, as it is happening.
b) Keep myself accountable.
c) Inspire others.... Those of you that know me, probably can count me as one of their FATTEST friends.  And definitely as one of those that never shyed away from a hamburger and fries.   I want to show them that someone like me who would say things like..... "I can't eat that lettuce, it is green, therefore it must be spoiled" or "I don't eat vegetables, my FOOD eats the vegetables and turns them into BACON", is capable of making a dramatic change in the way I think about food.


I have lost over 60 pounds 2 different times in my life and BOTH times not only did I gain it back, but I ballooned up over my previous weight.  I never learned moderation.  My hope is with this new way of eating, I don't have to worry about that.  If I want another Orange, or MORE salad, or more Kale  (okay maybe I won't go that far), then it is okay to "pig out" on those foods.



No comments:

Post a Comment