Monday, December 28, 2015

All around cruddy day!! - not much food talk, family health issue a plenty.

The weather today was AWFUL!!!  Freezing rain/snow.

The events of today also could not be much worse.

First off, I have a cold.  It started coming on Saturday when I was eating at Red Robin with Deb on Saturday.   I have been taking Advil Cold and Sinus non-stop, so I have not had a lot of symptoms, but I don't sleep well and I fell sick.

Last night was the wake for Deb's 90 year old Grandmother (Her Dad's Mother).  She had a stoke before Christmas and never regained consciousness.  Then this morning was the funeral.  While we were at the luncheon after mass, Deb got a call that her 101 year old grandfather (Her Mom's Father) was in the hospital will DOUBLE pneumonia.  And that his 91 year old sister is also not doing well.

Not sure how many of you know, but my MOTHER has Colon Cancer.  2 weeks ago the tumor in her colon had ruptured the colon wall.  This required emergency colon resectioning.   She seemed to have pulled through the surgery okay.  I had talked to her on christmas eve and we talked for over 40 minutes, and she seemed to sound like herself.

Well today she had a follow up a with the surgeon, and he gave her less than good news.  He basically said that with all that she has gone through in the last year and with the surgery, he does not think that she will EVER be strong enough to start chemo again.   I have not talked to my Mom, since I am letting this sink in, but she was the one who asked the Doctor to call my little sister and me.  So we could hear it from him.

He is afraid the NEXT illness of any sort, may do her in.   I really have NO IDEA how to process this information.

FOOD
At the luncheon, we were at a Greek Family restaurant, and the owner could not have been any more accommodating to me.  He made a Caesar's salad with no cheese, veggie soup (instead of the cream of chicken rice everyone else had) and he made me a HUGE plate of Asparagus, Broccoli, Carrots and Portobello mushrooms.  It was really good.

For some reason, I don't really feel like eating dinner now.

1 comment:

  1. Jim! I'm so sorry to hear about all these events happening at once. I will pray for your family. Just know that with all this bad some good must follow. Miss you guys. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete