Monday, February 15, 2016

Mom - Losing her battle with Cancer

Earlier this week my little sister went out to see my Mom in Florida.  She took Reese and Zoe to see Gramma Gramma.

My mom had been at a rehab center recovering from surgery, but she was able to go home on Wednesday.  So she was home to see the girls.

Deb was checking the internet every so often and she saw a post on Facebook that Traycie had to take my Mom to the ER Saturday night.  (this was after Mom spent the day with the girls).  So I logged on and texted Traycie.  They were checking to see if it was the NEW medication she was on, and were going to monitor her overnight.

For some reason at 4:45 Sunday morning I woke up.  Knowing that we were close to land, I turned on my cell and checked messages and email.   Around 3:30am Mom's breathing got really shallow and her blood pressure dropped.  Traycie got a hold of my sister Deb, and Deb was able to call in and say goodbye to Mom.  There was a text and an email from Traycie saying that I needed to call her right away.

I got the WORSE news when Traycie answered the phone, she said to me "Jimmy, Mom is dying".  Those words keep ringing in my ears now.

She put me on speaker and held the phone near Mom.  I told Mom how much I LOVED HER and that she had done such a great job fighting.   She had fought through Lymphoma, spinal surgery, where she had to re-learn how to walk and how to use her hands.  And she had fought this colon cancer for almost a year, she had just made it through surgery to remove the tumor from where it burst through the colon wall.  But now I told her that she did not have to fight anymore, she could go.  She could go see her Father and Mother.  I told her we were okay if she needed to go.  I hung up.  Five minutes later Traycie called me back to say that as soon as I hung up, Mom took a deep peaceful breath and passed away.

She had waited to hear from her son.  I am so glad Traycie was out there to be with her and that she got to see 2 of her grand children one more time.

I will miss her so much!!!  But now she is not suffering with the pain she had from the spinal surgery, she is not suffering the pains of cancer.   She is pain free now.

This big old Mamma's boy, doesn't have a Mommy any more.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your mom. She is pain free now and glad you got to say a goodbye. Our condolences go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete