Friday, January 18, 2019

Do not take short cuts

Thought that I have noticed about people who start KETO but give up early.
Too many people try to "KETOize" all their existing recipes.
I think the best way to go about it is to eliminate all the processed/artificial/substitute stuff.
If you spend the first 2 or 3 weeks just eating "normal" foods (meat, eggs, cheese) and cut out carbs (potatoes, soda, sweets) then you have better success.
I was not a big dessert guy before I started Keto, so I did not miss that part of my daily food intake. But my wife (Debbie Barfield Dreyer) does like a little sweet after dinner. After many failed attempts by me to make a Keto dessert, she has found that 1 little sugar free Reese's peanut butter cup does the trick.
I think that if you feel a potion will get you into Keto faster, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. I was 290lbs when I started this in the middle of June. I have lost 50lbs FOUR different times before, so I know I can do it, I know it takes time, but I also know that I have to do a diet that I can do for a LONG time.
My 4 other times that I lost the weight all took me about 90 days to lose the weight. (I have the spreadsheets to show the progress), but surprisingly I do not see any of those charts going past day 100. I always seem to "give up" after 13 or so weeks.
When I did the vegetarian diet, I was able to do that for 19 MONTHS, but the last year of it was at a fairly constant weight, and by the end my "diet" was Cheese Pizza, Chocolate Shakes and Doritos!!! Basically all the bad food that "never had a face".
I am at 7 months of KETO today and down 61 lbs. The lowest I had been on ANY diet in the last 20 (yes TWENTY) years was 232. Today I was 228 when I stepped on the scale. I do not feel that I am anywhere close to giving up.
It REALLY helps when you are doing the diet with someone else. Debbie is having great success on this as well and it motivates me to keep BOTH of us on it.

I try not to comment on newbie post about Breakfast Bars, and NET Carb bread. My thought is WEIGHT (yes spelled that way on purpose). There are so many recipes out there that are low in TOTAL carbs, just use those. Get your body OFF the craving for carbs. Think about what the fat in your body is from. It is from that 3rd piece of birthday cake you had at your Nephews 4th birthday party 3 years ago. Your body knows that the food provides energy and you should save that extra for a rainy day. And how does it store it..... FAT..... Keto is teaching your body to remember that it saved Timmy's birthday cake as fuel to be used later. Well let it find that path. The more carbs you put in your mouth, the less your body needs to go find the fat it stored before.

About a month and a half into Keto, I began to realize that I was not out of breath when I walked up stairs.... I was not sleepy at 2pm.... I did not sweat in game 3 of bowling (yes, I was so fat that BOWLING made me sweat). Once your body realizes that it has been carrying YEARS worth of extra fuel with it, you will be amazed at how much you can do without the need to eat "carbs for energy". I have ENERGY to spare!! (and I am 48 1/2 years old)

Ramblings of a very happy KETO guy. Who happens to have influenced 3 people in his office to try it. The number of times I get stopped in the office to have someone say "WOW, you are half the man you used to be" is amazing. People I have worked with for over 15 years, say I look younger than the day they met me.

So realize that this is a LONG journey and if you START by taking short cuts, you will never learn the true way of dealing with REAL obstacles that life throws at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment