Friday, January 18, 2019

Chicken with Cream Sauce

I was being a tad creative today for lunch.
I decided to make chicken with a sauce.

Here is what I did
I took out 2 LARGE chicken breast and defrosted them at least to the point of not being FULLY frozen, they were still fairly solid on the inside.  From frozen it was 16 minute defrost cycle in microwave.  I cut them in half to make 4 thinner pieces.  Salt and pepper on them and put in 2 lightly oiled glass dishes.  Put in a 400 degree oven and waited to prepare sauce.  I have oven thermometers that I use, so I was watching for the temperature to get to about 100 - 110 degrees (about 10 minutes of cooking), before I started the sauce.

Sauce ingredients
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 cloves of minced garlic
some onion powder (I did not measure, but it covered up my garlic)
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
10 cherry tomatoes - quartered 
1 tablespoon basil (I had some in a jar in fridge)
2/3 cup diced ham (that was about how much I am guessing I had, I did not measure)
Salt and Pepper

I put the butter in a sauce pan and set on medium heat. 
When butter melted I added the garlic and onion powder.   Let that sauté about 2 minutes. 
I then broke up the cream cheese and added it in. Wanted to give it time to melt a little. 
I stirred with a whisk to help it along. 
Once it melted a bit I added in the cream and the parmesan, and kept stirring to mix it all together.  After a minute or so I added in the basil, stirred that up then added the ham.  Let that cook a minute.  Then added tomatoes and salt and pepper.
All told the sauce only took about 5 or 6 minutes to make.  I had prepped the ingredients waiting for the chicken to get to the right temperature.

When my thermometer read around 135 (I think this was about 15 minutes of cooking at that point)
I opened the oven and poured the sauce evenly over the 2 dishes.   They cooked for another 5 minutes until temperature was 165.   
Took it out of the oven and let it cool a few minutes.



it was REALLY good, loved the creamy texture and the basil added a nice flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment